Sunday, April 15, 2007

Closer to the half-marathon!

Remaining:
18 days
45 km

Completed:
10 days
30 km (1x15K, 1x10K, 1x5K)

So I did my longest-run-ever today - 15.2 Km in 1 hr 28 min. It's a step towards running a half-marathon (approx 21km). I guess I'll be doing another 3 such runs before I actually run a half-marathon. Unfortunately, I probably pressed the wrong button because the run isn't getting uploaded to the Nike+ website... teething issues I guess. Its frustrating, but I guess I can still add numbers, so I don't need the website to track my target for me this time. Next goal, I'll be more careful. But I'm happy enough to have done a 15K run to cover for the missed recording! :)

It's not really very easy to run longer than an hour. First, there's the issue of getting some good sleep. Wake up groggy and it's a rare chance you'll have the energy to run very far. Then you need to eat the appropriate food that won't lower your sugar much but at the same time fuel your body through the run. I went for oatmeal and yogurt (no sugar), in accordance with one brochure I had procured a long time ago at a university health fair. Then you need to wait 1-1.5 hours before you run, so that the stomach isn't too full when you start. During the actual run, it is really important to keep hydrated, so I bought an eight-pack of gatorade (hydrating drink) to carry along - another addition to my running kit. And last, but not the least, a second layer of shirt to keep warm in case it rains, or in case temperatures drop by the time I reach the lake-side.

So here's the complete kit:
Cap
Nike+ Armband
iPod Nano
Stay-Dri Reebok running shirt
Second layer shirt (polyester) in case it's cold
Sports Shorts
Nike+ Air Shoes
Bottle of Gatorade
Bottle of Water (Leave in the car, use after the run)

2 comments:

Sonali said...

u r sahii

M said...

1. how do u carry 8-pack gatorade while running?
2. give me recommendation for good running shoes :p