Sunday, November 23, 2008

Kicking Asphalt at the Philadelphia Marathon

When I woke up that night, it was 3am. But I had anticipated this. I ate the banana just within reach by the bed and went back to sleep.

At 5:27am, the phone rang. It was my cheer squad, already on its way to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I quickly got up, drank a glass of chocolate milk and ate another banana. A hot shower later, I was ready to face the feels like 18F winter chill.

It was still dark. As I walked the mile from my home to the start line, I saw a few other runners walking in the same direction. Nearer to the museum, we could hear peppy music playing over the loudspeakers. As the start venue came into sight, so did the grand spectacle of eighteen thousand runners and their cheer parties. I didn't realize just how big a number that is until I headed to the port-a-johns located just outside the main area, and discovered how cold it was in comparison. The collective body heat of so many people was actually like a space heater!

I checked in my bag & jacket and borrowed a cell phone from a random guy to check where my friends were. Over the blaring speakers, I could barely hear them say they had just parked somewhere. After some lady (who, according to the speaker, had also done so when the Phillies won) sang the national anthem, I headed to my corral at the start line. I was going to be a part of the third wave of runners.

There, finally, my squad popped up and there was jubilation and photographing. After a bit, my wave was ready to go. The announcer counted down – 3, 2, 1, GO! I switched on my iPod and with a wave to my friends, took off into the sunrise.



I traveled at a fairly constant pace, and overtook a gazillion people in the first few miles. After about the 6th mile, I more or less had stabilized my position. By the way, here’s a tip: never rely on the water stations. I tend to lose a rather significant proportion of salt in my sweat, so I was relying on a Gatorade only policy (no water), and the first station (there was one every 2.5 miles or so) only had water! Luckily I'd decided to carry my own bottle of Gatorade in my Nike hydration belt.

The first half was easy. There was a lot of cheering and the only tough part was a really crazy hill towards the end of the half. As I approached the art museum to pass through to the second half, I could hear the Independence Day music (the stuff played when the president is inspiring the airforce) on the speakers :)

In the third quarter, I slowed down by a few seconds a mile. An insane climb at mile 15 nearly got me. By mile 17, the cheering spectators had thinned and I had consumed all 3 of my gel packets (note to self: take more next time) and was fast running out of calories to burn. Thankfully, at the turnaround point in Manayunk at mile 20, there was more cheering and they gave out gel packets and brownies (and even beer (!), which I ignored). However, it was too late, and I got my first leg cramps at mile 20.

Some stretching helped, but after every few minutes they returned. I finally had to resort to a run walk (75-25) policy – slowing down every time the cramps showed signs of returning. Miles 21-25 were tough and only determination to finish and cheering encouragements of you’re almost there helped me through those. At the last mile (#26), the crowds started thickening again, and the cheering and loudspeakers were so loud that I thought, to hell with the cramps, I’m gonna sprint to the finish line! And I did! Nearly 2 years since I'd started training with Nike+, I finally attempted and completed my first marathon – none less than the Philadelphia Marathon!

By this time, it was 33F and at the food tent, I had some of the best hot soup evar!

A life-size thank-you to my cheering squad at the start and finish lines, and also the volunteers and general cheering public on the streets – you rocked! I dedicate this race to mom & dad, who got me from “near survival” around age 1 to the current level of physical fitness :)

Now for the Pittsburgh Marathon next summer.

PS: Here's a video of the race start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBhdp5dnfQ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first full marathon!! Amazing ... now i can say that I trained with a marathon runner ;)

BTW i saw the youtube video and I think I got a quick glimpse at part of your shoes in one of the shots :)

Keep up the good work... waiting for more marathon achievements from you.