Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Fresh Start

I woke up to yet another perfect day today – bright blue skies, sunny and a light, cool breeze. Being alone on a weekend in a strange city can take its toll, but I’d already decided not to give boredom a snowball’s chance in hell.


Equipped with my iPod, my backpack containing my Digital Rebel XTi & its lenses and a light jacket, I set off towards the waterfront. Humming to the tune of “Say Na Say Na” from Bluffmaster, I reached Alaskan Way, the last street that runs parallel to the waterfront here in downtown Seattle.

The first place I hit on the waterfront was the Odyssey Maritime Museum rooftop. It was a breathtaking view – the distant snow-capped peaks to the north, Seattle downtown to the south and the large mass of water in front of me. I moved on after absorbing the lovely panorama before me for a few minutes.

As I walked along the coast, I realized that my appetite for fish could whet well – with all the seafood available and the lovely view, who wouldn’t want to eat here! (I still haven’t checked the prices, but what the heck!) A few sails on the horizon also raised my interest in that direction; some day in the not too distant future, it will be someone else watching me there ;)

Also along the road were the usual suspects – an aquarium, a ferry terminal and a modern art fountain – structures to be expected near the coast-line. One unexpected edifice I came across, however, was a mini-WTC, complete with flags and a glass façade!

The piers, cruises, sail and speedboats, seafood eateries, steep streets and atmosphere in general vaguely reminded me of my trip to San Francisco last summer. I only hope that I will be having as much fun here as I did back then in SF with my friends! Of course, the one thing quite unique to Seattle – the space needle – was also visible from there, among the “high-rises” to the north.

As the sun finally set in the distance, everyone around got quiet and took in the breathtaking sight. As the last bit of the sun dropped below the horizon, the temperature suddenly dropped a few degrees. Glad that I had lugged it around this far, I put on my sweater and headed home, a day well spent.



3 comments:

Meen said...

Aha!! :). Did you have seafood at all? I can recommend a place if you did not. :P

M said...

finally u listened to my suggestion :p

Anonymous said...

Nice .... Keep blogging :)